School Counselor - Elementary/K-8/Middle School (Effective 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR)
Interested in creating a better tomorrow? Apply to be a TUSD (Tucson Unified School District) School Counselor today!
Tucson Unified School District is the best place in Southern Arizona for you to begin or continue a rewarding and meaningful School Counseling career. As one of the largest employers in Tucson, we have a superior offering of teaching opportunities that you will not find in other districts in the region. Join our team of passionate educators and become part of a dynamic, supportive community deeply committed to ensuring that our students receive the best education possible in the classroom that is right for them.
What We are Looking For:
The Tucson Unified School District seeks caring and effective School Counselors who possess the skillset and eagerness to change tomorrow for our students.
- Are you enthusiastic about working in a culturally diverse district and passionate about being part of the development of our students and community?
- Are you innovative, creative, and have an intrinsic desire to inspire and enrich the strengths of all learners?
If so, then we are looking for you. Join us in making all our schools great.
ABOUT TUCSON UNIFIED:
With 89 individual schools and over 7,000 employees serving nearly 50,000 students, we are Southern Arizona's largest school district. Our student body represents various cultural, socioeconomic, and family backgrounds; We take great pride in the diversity of our community and share a deep commitment to delivering on every child's right to an excellent education. We demonstrate our dedication to this goal through a rigorous multicultural curriculum, culturally responsive pedagogy, professional learning communities, employee support, innovative family and community engagement, and many other initiatives that push the frontiers of public education.
For more information on School Counselor supports and benefits click here:
- Guidance and Counseling Program http://www.tusd1.org/Departments/Counseling
- Welcome to Tucson Unified: http://www.tusd1.org/Departments/Human-Resources
Five reasons to work at Tucson Unified:
- We are the place for your talent and passion for student achievement, closing the achievement gap.
- We are an urban school district that believes all students can achieve at the highest level.
- We are committed to providing our students with multicultural and culturally responsive education.
- We are transforming our school district and the community by making a difference in the lives of our students.
- We value and recognize our innovative, high-performing, and creative staff.
We understand working in education is both rewarding and challenging, and we are pleased to offer our School Counselors cutting-edge training and support programs. Whether you are brand new to the field, or just new to our District, you will feel an immediate sense of belonging and support. We offer a large selection of PD (Professional Development) opportunities to accelerate your professional growth, advance your instructional practice, and increase student development. We will provide you with the tools, support, and encouragement to flourish as a counselor and nurture a love for growth and development in your students.
Join Tucson Unified and serve at the forefront of American education in beautiful Tucson, Arizona. As the second-largest District in the state, we have 89 schools, proudly serving over 49,000 students, parents, and families since 1867.
The mission of the Tucson Unified School District, in partnership with parents and the greater community, is to assure each pre-K through 12th-grade student receives an engaging, rigorous, and comprehensive education.
The District is committed to inclusion and non-discrimination in all District activities. At all times, District staff should work to ensure that staff, parents, students, and members of the public are included and welcome to participate in District activities.
Our School Counselors Implement the American School Counselor Association National Model (ASCA). As a member of the School Counseling staff, the counselor is to provide a comprehensive school counseling program for all students at the school site while ensuring equity and access for all students.
School Counselors work at all levels of the school system to support the social, emotional, and academic well-being of students. As a School Counselor, you will collaborate with school and school district staff to help students succeed in all aspects of their lives. This can be helping students through social and emotional challenges or liaising with other agencies and organizations outside the school. You may also help students with course planning and applying for post-secondary education.
REPORTS TO: School Site Principal
Masters degree in School Guidance and Counseling or a related field.
Arizona School Counselor Certificate.
Arizona IVP fingerprint clearance card.
Arizona Teacher’s Certification.
Three years experience as a Teacher.
Three years experience as a School Counselor.
EFFECTIVE: 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
LOCATION: Mission View Elementary School - 36th St. & 6th Ave. Area - 1.0 FTE
FTE: 1.0, 7.5 hours per day.
WORK CALENDAR: 9.5 months - 212 days (plus orientation for new to district counselors)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR HIRING PROCESS:
- Upon submission of a successfully completed application, you will be invited to respond to a one-way video screener.
- Screening Submissions are not required but are highly encouraged.
- Video Submissions are viewed by hiring managers at school sites.
- Based on the initial screening of your application and video responses, you may be invited to an interview (Zoom or In-person) at a school matching the employment preferences you listed in your online application.
- Invitations to interview may come via phone or email request.
- At this time, TUSD interviews are conducted via Zoom.
- If you are successful in receiving an offer of employment from a school site:
- The site and Human Resources will be in communication with an official offer, and onboarding information.
- If you are not successful in receiving an offer after an interview, your application will remain active and available for review in all listed vacancies.
- If you are having trouble securing an interview, please contact Careers@tusd1.org
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT:
- The 2022-2023 School year for students runs 8/4/2022-5/25/2023
- New to TUSD, and Transfer School Counselors work calendar is: 7/26/2022-5/26/2023
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS AFTER HIRE:
Proof of immunity to rubeola (measles) and rubella (German measles), or proof of MMR immunization
MVReport - showing no more than the allowable points against Driver’s License as described under Governing Board Policy: EEB-R-1 Business and Personnel Transportation Services - Transportation by Employees.
Reliable mode of personal transportation with evidence of insurance compliance greater than or equal to the state required minimum for car insurance as described under Governing Board Policy: EEB-R-1 Business and Personnel Transportation Services - Transportation by Employees
Internal candidates will transfer at a rate commensurate with their bargaining unit language. Salary includes the annual rate for master's degree. For more information on the salary schedule, please reference the Employee Agreements Webpage.
To view the full job description, please visit our website.
Positions less than 30 hours per week are not eligible for district benefits.
Tucson Unified School District is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination based on disability, race, color, religion/religious beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or national origin.
Job Contact Information
Friday, December 2, 2022 12:00 AM -
Thursday, April 6, 2023 11:59 PM
(Pacific Standard Time)